Sash Windows London
Sash Windows London
If you’re just looking for a price for sash windows, please feel free to just head straight to our online estimate tool.
Sash windows have been an essential part of London’s architectural landscape for centuries because of their timeless charm. This article aims to give a brief overview of sash windows, their basic features, and their operation. Core Sash Windows (officially Core Building & Carpentry Services LTD) are a window company with over 10 years of experience exclusively focusing on timber products.
What is a Sash Window?
A sash window is any window in which the two sliding sashes slide vertically within the opening, as opposed to hinged windows which are called casement windows. The ‘sash’ of a window is the part that retains the glass in any window, but ‘sash windows’ are always the vertical sliding type of design.
Operation of Sash Windows
Sash windows (London) need to be operated by using the two sash ‘pulls’ which are situated on the bottom of the bottom windows sash, or pulling the two handles on the top sash should they be provided by the company. Essentially as long as you operate the window by the provided hardware, without using too much force, your window should last a long time.
Our Catchment Areas
Sash Windows London
Probable to most popular windows in London, sash windows have been a feature of London’s architecture for hundreds of years. Made from traditional timber, these sash windows are often a required replacement in many areas in London, which is why all our windows are designed to mimic the traditional proportions of those windows while not losing out on the modern benefits of double glazing. The window sash would often be manufactured with ornate moulding, historically, and we’re prepared to replicate any design you might have. Just let our surveyor know and he’ll be able to factor everything into your design!
We install sash windows london and all other types of windows throughout the London area. Typically we operate inside the M25 but can consider jobs from further out so long as the job is big enough.
Our most common areas of operation are East London and North London, typically the following parts:
- Sash Windows Harringey, London
- Sash Windows Muswell Hill, London
- Sash Windows Walthamstow, London
- Sash Windows Hackney, London
- Sash Windows Islington, London
- Sash Windows London Fields, London
- Sash Windows Bethnal Green, London
- Sash Windows Bow, London
- Sash Windows Poplar, London
These areas are where we’ve done the most work in London, but we’re happy to take a job of any size within the London area. Feel free to give us a call to talk things over if you’re not sure. Sash windows London are our speciality and we have a great deal of experience and specialisation installing these items across the city.
Our Sash Window Options
Sash windows are generally bespoke products, so there’s obviously a great deal of variance in the different types of design of your timber sash. We’re used to creating many different designs based on what our customer’s like, so please feel free to let us know your thoughts.
The actual timber sash frame of the sash window is often shaped in a decorative manner. This would typically mean the timber holding the glass is curved or shaped. This is a common design feature that our factory is used to producing, so we’re confident in saying that we’re sure we’ll be able to produce whatever you like the most! If you need something to help put your mind at rest, we would be happy to produce some technical documents that should perfectly describe the proportions of the windows for you. Once you’ve signed off on those documents we can go to production and then simply hand those documents over to the factory.
A typical London sash would be of a quite simple design, usually either plain glass or with one central, vertical glazing bar.
The double glazing on your sash windows (or casement windows, doors etc) don’t just have to be plain, standard glass. We have a range of options that suit various needs for you to choose from:
Acoustic glass is design to reduce the amount of sound coming into your home. This type of glass is typically best served in casement windows as opposed to sash windows.
Toughened glass is a legal requirement where any window comes within 800mm of the floor, or within any part of any door. Many car passenger windows are made from toughened glass, which is why they shatter into such small, manageable chunks.
Satin glass is opaque glass, typically requested for bathrooms for obvious reasons. Some people do value their privacy higher than others, so we’ve also provided satin glass in living rooms, just on the bottom sash windows. We can also provide clear borders around the glass should you like that design. Fanlights on doors can have the house number etched onto the glass, with the rest being clear, or vice versa. London sash windows typically are clear glass.
Laminated / Safety Glass
Laminated glass is like your car windshield, i.e it can’t shatter due to a laminate membrane on the glass. For those customers with high security requirements, we can both laminate and toughen your glass. This request is quite uncommon in London sash windows, but there won’t be any appreciable difference to the average person.
Stained glass is possible under certain circumstances, but salvaging old stained glass can be a very difficult procedure and we can’t necessarily guarantee that we can salvage it all in one piece. If you’re looking for stained glass we would recommend purchasing new glass panes. London sash windows can occasionally have stained glass, but typically it’s not that common.
What is a ‘basic sash box replacement’ service?
The basic sash box replacement service is designed for when you are working with other trades and don’t need us to do a fully comprehensive service. Essentially we do a slimmed-down service in order to allow other contractors to complete the making good of the plasterwork, the painting, the pointing, and any other services across the whole property.
What’s the point of having a slimmed down service?
Because our standard service is fully comprehensive and covers all aspects of installation. Occasionally, this clashes with other trades that a customer may have already employed. Essentially, the basic fit allows all your contractors to work without stepping on each others toes, keeping your building works as smooth, hassle free and low-cost as possible. This could save you thousands. If you’re in any doubt as to what exactly we do and don’t do for this service, we’ve detailed everything below. If you would prefer to talk to someone about this service, any of our staff would be happy to assist you between the hours of 8:30am and 5:30pm on weekdays. On average, a basic fit should cost around 30% less than a comprehensive fit.
What we do for our ‘basic sash box replacement’ service:
- Supply & fit factory sprayed Engineered Timber products (2 x primer coats & 2 x top coats – RAL 9016).
- Window frames & sashes will be spray primed with 2 coats of Teknos micro-porous base primer and spray finished with 2 coats of Teknos micro-porous aqua top coat – Standard RAL colour 9016 ‘Traffic White’. Wide range of alternative colours are available on request.
- Standard double glazed units will comprise of 4mm float glass ltd, a 16mm cavity filled with 90% Argon gas/10% air, white warm edged thermal super spacers and 4mm ltd Guardian ClimaGuard low emissivity glass. Other glazing options are available on request.
- Supply & fit new hardware, weights & security fittings.
- Wedge the window in place and fill the gaps with expanding foam.
- Aquatex A10 weatherseal (white) will be fitted to all opening sections.
Unless specifically agreed, the following services will not be provided on a basic fit:
- Sand and cement pointing or temporary silicone seal.
- Rubbish removal. Rubbish will be left at an agreed location on site.
- Hand painting.
- Architraves, Bullnose / Window boards.
As detailed above, certain services are only provided at your specific request. We are always happy to tailor our service to your needs, so just be sure to speak with your surveyor about what it is you need. We know that you may not fully understand what each of these services are. That’s why our staff are always available to help with any questions you might have.
Full Rundown of the Full Box Replacement Service:
- Remove & dispose of existing box frames & sash window.
- Supply & fit new box frame with double glazed top & bottom sash windows. New box & Sash windows will be manufactured from engineered, finger jointed laminated timber and be preservative & fungicide treated.
- Box frames & ashes will be spray primed with 2 coats of Teknos micro-porous base primer and spray finished with 2 coats of Teknos micro-porous aqua top coat. Paint will be RAL colour 9016 ‘Traffic White’. Wide range of alternative colours are available on request.
- Standard double glazed units will comprise of 4mm float glass, a 16mm cavity filled with 90% Argon gas / 10% air, white warm edged ltd thermal super spacers and 4mm Guardian ltd ClimaGuard low emissivity glass. Other glazing options are available on request.
- New lead weights or spiral balance springs (where applicable) to be supplied & fitted.
- Sash windows to be hung on white waxed cotton sash window cords.
- Aquatex A10 draught proofing seal (white) will be fitted to sides of top & bottom sash windows, top of top sash window and bottom of bottom sash window.
- Aquatex D slot weatherseal (white) will be fitted to meeting rails.
- New architrave will be supplied & fitted
- New bull-nose sills or window boards will be supplied & fitted.
- All surrounding interior plasterwork will be made good where necessary. Paintwork on surrounding interior walls will be touched up where plasterwork has been made good. *Wall paint must be supplied by client.
- New windows will be pointed on the exterior using the traditional sand & cement method. *Silicone sealant will only be used if requested by client.
- New box frames and sash windows will be decorated with 1 extra coat of Teknos micro-porous top coat in-situ.
- New polished chrome or polished brass hardware will be supplied & fitted comprising of: 1 x locking sash fastener, 2 x sash window lifts, 2 x D handles & 2 x security sash window restrictors
Full Rundown of the Sash Window Replacement Service:
- Remove & dispose of all staff & parting beads.
- Remove & dispose of existing single glazed sash windows.
- Burn of heavy paint from all woodwork – box frames, hardwood sills, architrave, bull nose sills and window boards.
- Sand down all of the above woodwork.
- Carry out any necessary box and timber repairs, splice in new timber where necessary & fill all cracks with epoxy resin.
- Once resin is dry, re-sand all woodwork.
- Supply & fit 4 x new wheeled pulleys.
- Prime all woodwork with Teknos micro-porous base primer.
- Supply & fit new double glazed top & bottom sash windows – sash windows will be manufactured from engineered, finger jointed laminated timber and be preservative & fungicide treated.
- Sash windows will be spray primed with 2 coats of Teknos micro-porous base primer and spray finished with 2 coats of Teknos micro-porous aqua top coat – Standard RAL colour 9016 ‘Traffic White’. Wide range of alternative colours are available on request.
- Standard double glazed units will comprise of 4mm float glass ltd, a 12mm cavity filled with 90% Argon gas/ 10% air, white warm edged thermal super spacers and 4mm Guardian ClimaGuard low emissivity glass ltd. Other glazing options are available on request.
- New lead weights or spiral balance springs (where applicable) will be supplied & fitted.
- Sash window will be hung on white waxed cotton sash window cords.
- New staff & parting beads will be supplied & fitted with draught proofing seals. Draught proofing is vital for this service as we’ll be planing all the sash windows to fit their openings perfectly.
- Aquatex A10 weatherseal (white) will be fitted to staff beads.
- Aquatex D slot weatherseal (white) will be fitted to parting beads & meeting rails.
- All woodwork – box frames, hardwood sills, architrave, bull nose sills and window boards will be decorated with 2 coats of Teknos micro-porous top coat.
- New sash window will be decorated with 1 extra coat of Teknos ltd micro-porous top coat in-situ.
- New polished chrome or polished brass hardware will be supplied & fitted comprising of: 1 x locking sash window fastener, 2 x sash window lifts, 2 x D handles & 2 x security sash restrictors
Our Other Products
In addition to timber sash windows we produce a variety of other timber / aluminium products which we’ve listed below.
Casement windows are any hinged window. These are available in aluminium or timber. Since these windows provide a snug fit into the opening, they’re a great choice for draught proofing and noise exclusion.
A French door typically leads onto a balcony or a patio. French doors have two door sashes, are available in a wide variety of styles in either timber or aluminium.
Front / Back Doors
Front or back doors are typically single doors, available in a wide variety of designs in timber or aluminium.
Bifold doors have several ‘leaves’, or door sashes, which fold together to save space. As with our other door / casement products these are available in timber or aluminium.
There are a few points with regards to taking care of your traditional timber sash windows once we’ve finished the installation. These include but are not necessarily limited to the following:
- Sash windows should always be operated in the correct manner, using the provided furniture. They should not be operated too roughly, as the sash fastener can impact the top of the box if you move it up too quickly, for example.
- The double glazing can be replaced if you notice any condensation inside the unit, but if there is any sign of impact on the glazing then this will not come under guarantee.
- Condensation is another problem with most windows, so please don’t dry clothes next to them, and if the window is in a bathroom then operate it daily and wipe it down to ensure that the timber doesn’t swell.
These are the few main issues we see post installation, but should you wish to go ahead with a purchase we will be supplying you with a more comprehensive aftercare document that you can refer to as time goes on.
We offer a 10 year guarantee on these products, but this 10 year guarantee may be voided if this procedure isn’t followed properly.
Get in Touch
Core Building & Carpentry Services ltd are a window company that likes to provide excellent customer service to those looking for timber sash windows in London. If you’d like to pop down to our showroom to get a feel for our range of products, feel free to call us on 020 3302 2060 or drop us a line at [email protected] You can also call us on any of our surveyors mobile numbers, which they will let you know at the time of the survey. All rights reserved.